MEGA HEALTHY CHOCOLATE CAKE
Well, everyone knows how bad sugar is for you. It’s all over the news and Jamie Oliver is campaigning for a sugar tax on soft drinks. I totally agree! I wish I had known how bad it was for you as a child, then maybe I wouldn’t have so many fillings and crowns. Fizzy drinks are a rare treat in our house, but sadly we do eat cake and chocolate. Oops!
In a bid to be healthier and still eat the things we love at home, I came up with this recipe for a sugar-free vegan chocolate cake that still tastes yummy.
- 10 Medjool dates soaked in boiling water to soften them
- 170g ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Half teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds – get these in health food shops but supermarkets now sell them
- 85g coconut oil
- 3 heaped tablespoons of raw cacao (cacao has mega nutrients and is so good for you, but normal cocoa powder will do)
- 200 ml almond milk or soya milk
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 and line a loaf tin with one of those grease-proof liners for ease.
Drain the dates and place them in a food mixer, blasting them until they’re pulverised.
Next add the rest of the ingredients and blast that too. Once it is all combined, add the almond milk. The mixture should be much sloppier now.
Scrape it all into the loaf tin and place in the middle of the oven for about forty minutes. Check the cake is cooked through by inserting a skewer in the middle. It should come out clean. Leave the cake to cool in the tin.
The consistency of the cake is very dense and rich so you don’t need to eat loads of it! And it’s healthy too, so maybe you can squeeze in an extra slice…