SWEET POTATO ROSTI
This is something I made up to go with a roast dinner over the summer holidays. I know sweet potatoes are good for you, but Danny and I actually don’t like them – Lilla, Teya and Neil do. I will eat them if they’re disguised and wanted to trick Danny with these!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- Half teaspoon ground coriander
- Half teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- Few chilli flakes (optional)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon of chickpea flour
- Two tablespoons of chopped fresh coriander
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
Grate the sweet potatoes and onions as fine as you can. Next fry them with the oil in a frying pan and all the spices (including the chilli flakes if you’re using them) for about five minutes until everything has softened. At the last minute add the garlic so it doesn’t burn, and combine well.
Take the pan off the heat and tip everything in to a bowl. Stir in the lemon juice, flour, fresh coriander and season to taste. Mash it all together until it’s a mush.
Pour some more oil in to the frying pan and press your mixture in to a flat pattie (about half to one centimetre thick). Fry on both sides on a low heat until brown and crispy.
Cut up into squares and serve with a roast dinner or have with salad and turkey burgers!